Sunday, September 21, 2014
My girls are still absolutely crazy about rice, and these days I've been packing a hot thermos with rice dishes to send in my daughter's school lunch every day. I try to mix it up with the spices a little to give her different tastes from around the world. Today with the help of FillMyRecipe I made her a little taste of India for her lunch tomorrow using the spices for vegetable rice (pulav).
Her pre-packaged seasoning mix comes with all spices needs to make this delicious dish.
Pulav seasoning mix (single use)
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 pods green cardamom
1 pod black cardamom
1 bay leaf
1” stick cinnamon
¼ tsp clove
Pinch of saffron
What else you'll need
1 cup chopped vegetables (carrots, peas, green beans)
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup long-grained rice or basmati rice
2 tsp oil,
1 tbsp chopped cashews
1 tbsp raisins
1/2 cup white onions chopped thin & long (optional)
Remove spices marked with * before serving
1. Heat oil in skillet on medium heat, lightly brown cumin seeds, green cardamom*, black cardamom*, bay leaf*, cinnamon*, clove* for 20 seconds.
2. Add chopped vegetables, stir fry 1 min
3. Add washed and strained rice, stir fry 1 min
4. Add water, saffron and salt, cook covered until rice is ready (Note: you could cook mixture in a rice cooker if you like)
5. Garnish: fry cashews, onions and raisins in 2 tsp oil for 1 min until golden brown. Add garnish to cooked rice and vegetables, mix and serve hot
The rice was perfect, fragrant and delicious (I managed to sneak in a few bites while packing her lunch). Definitely another hit from FillMyRecipe!