Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Hunan seasoning mix

We are leaving for vacation again tomorrow so I'm posting today to make up for the fact I'll be gone for the rest of the week and the beginning of next....

I went out for Chinese food a couple weeks ago and ended up pretty much shaking from the giant dose of MSG. I am a huge fan of stir fries and Asian foods, but I am learning to cook them myself to avoid the shakes.

Hunan Seasoning Mix (single use)


1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
pinch cayenne
pinch mustard seeds




What else you'll need

1 pound boneless skinless beef, pork or chicken cut in cubes or strips
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Combine meat, oil and soy sauce and marinade meat for 30 minutes-1 hour, then stir fry on medium high.




I served mine with rice and steamed baby carrots. I used to stir fry my veggies with the meat but I find steaming them makes them easier for my daughter to chew while she's still little. My husband LOVED this recipe and wanted to eat it for every meal for 2 days. It has a pleasant sesame pepper taste to it.




1 comment:

  1. I'm liking the Hunan spice, and have a love affair going with Wegmans hunan roasted cauliflower; I made this but didn't have sesame, but it was still bitey and delicious.. Next time!

    ReplyDelete