Friday, August 26, 2011

Masoor Daal Mix




My daughter has this weird obsession with rice. She loves it. Every time she sees me going into the kitchen to cook dinner she yells 'A rice! A rice!' in hopes that it's what I'm making. In the past few weeks I've been making us a pot of basmati rice every day at lunch time, but wanting her to eat something a little more substantial than that I've been topping it with a pouch of microwaveable daal. That baby loves her curries, but I realized for a daily habit that $2.69 a pouch was a little expensive for something that can be made for pennies. So inspiration hit....

Masoor Daal Mix (single use- makes enough for 2 large servings)

1/2 cup red lentils
1 1/2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon tumeric
1/4 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon




What else you'll need

2 cups water
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon tomato paste

I use tomato paste in a tube which is double strength so I used only half a tablespoon. The kind in a tube is great for when you only need a little bit and don't want to open a whole can.

Combined the mix, water, oil and tomato paste in a small sauce pan and stir. Simmer the mixture for about 20 minutes until lentils are tender and mixture thickens. Serve with basmati rice.





My daughter and I both gobbled it up. I will be making this again soon! I might even experiment with a microwavable version in the near future.


No comments:

Post a Comment