Monday, March 26, 2012

Apple Pie Filling Mix




I can't refuse a good deal, which includes those 8 pound bags of apples that go on sale for ridiculously low prices in the winter. The problem with 8 pounds of apples in my fridge is that only my daughter really eats them, and she still needs them peeled which I'm too lazy to do half the time. So I end up with a whole pile of sad looking apples after a while.

Spring is here, and produce is improving. I wanted room in my fridge for tastier things, but I couldn't just throw out all those 'perfectly good' apples. Not with Ukrainian blood! So I needed to make them into something appetizing like..

Apple Pie Filling Mix (single use)

3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons corn starch
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch salt
pinch allspice
pinch ginger powder


What else you'll need

8 cups of apples, peeled and chopped (about 8 medium sized apples)
2 tablespoons melted butter
pie crust or pastry dough

Toss apples in melted butter and then stir in mix until evenly coated.



Use filling to stuff pie shell or other pastries. I bought some tarts thinking it would be easiest, but they were much tinier than they looked on the box so I had a lot more filling left. I whipped up a batch of pastry dough to make turnovers with, although my pastry skills are very lacking so they ended up looking more like baked mangled lumps.




Bake your pie/tarts/turnovers/ect at 350 degrees F until golden brown (about 15 minutes for tarts, 20 for turnovers, 45 for a whole pie).



Let me just say, the tarts were good. The lumpy looking pastry things that were supposed to be turnovers? They were AMAZING! Even though I had eaten dinner and two tarts, I had two turnovers as well and then had to lay down because I couldn't breathe! Who knew I could make a sad looking bag of apples taste so good??

No comments:

Post a Comment