Monday, March 12, 2012

Strawberry Fruit Dip Mix



Yogurt is considered a health food but really it's usually not very good for you. Because it's so sour a typical flavored yogurt has more sugar added to it than your average bowl of ice cream. The 'diet' yogurt is even worse, full of aspartame or other artificial sweeteners. Neither are things I want to be feeding to my daughter.

So every week I buy a big tub of plain yogurt and use it to make many things. I use my dip mixes to put baby carrots and dip in my husband's lunches. I make tzaziki to put on our souvlaki, or raita for our Indian dishes. I mix frozen berries into it and give it to my daughter for snacks. And sometimes I make fruit dip.

Strawberry Fruit Dip Mix

1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup freeze dried strawberries (crushed as big or small as you wish)


Freeze dried strawberries are available at bulk barn and other bulk food stores. They are very light and a little goes a long way so they aren't as expensive as they might seem.

What else you'll need

1 cup plain yogurt

Combine yogurt with 2 tablespoons of mix and stir well. Let it sit in a covered dish in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving to let the berry flavor infuse.



The dip is perfect to serve with a fruit platter at a party or for dessert. I made one with our favorite fruits to test it out.


The best thing about this dip is you can eat it by itself for dessert as well. Sometimes I let my daughter have the rest of it as a treat despite the sugar. It still has less than the average commercial yogurt anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment