Monday, October 1, 2012

Cajun Kale Chip Seasoning


When I first heard about kale chips I was very skeptical. How can something that's half broccoli, half lettuce taste like chips? But everyone I knew kept raving about them, so I figured they must be right. And then one day in the grocery store I saw bags of seasoned flavored kale chips for sale for $7 for a tiny little bag, yet a giant bunch of plain kale was only $1.99. I knew at that moment I needed to mix it up...

Cajun Kale Chip Seasoning (big batch)

1 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder


What else you'll need

1 large bunch of kale
2 tablespoons oil

Kale comes in gigantic bunches, so this will make several batches.


For each batch tear 2 large kale leaves into small pieces like you would romaine lettuce for a salad.


Toss the leaves with oil and 1/4 teaspoon seasoning mix and spread evenly on a baking sheet.


To make kale chips that are neither soggy nor burnt, I put them in the oven at 350 degrees F for about 5 minutes(until you hear a sizzling noise) and then turn off the oven and let the tray sit in the warm oven for 5-10 minutes to dry out without burning. This makes for perfectly crispy chips.


These didn't taste ANYTHING like I expected them to. They were delicious and snacky and tasted nothing like regular kale! My husband, who always complains about broccoli ate two trays of them in one sitting. They were insanely good, and I'll be making them a lot!



No comments:

Post a Comment