Friday, February 4, 2011

Italian salad dressing mix

I figured I would make a salad dressing next because I have a giant tub of salad greens that are about to go off soon and I’m going to have to be eating mountains of lettuce over the next couple of days.

I am a huge fan of Italian salad dressing. Sometimes I just pour myself a bowl of dressing and dip hunks of bread in it. I love it that much.

The good thing about mixing your own salad dressing is that you can choose which kind of oil to put into it. Commercial salad dressing is made with soybean oil, but canola oil is much higher in omega 3 fatty acids, which are very good for you.

Big Batch (makes 4 500 ml bottles- the size of a regular bottle of salad dressing)

4 tablespoons salt
4 tablespoons oregano
2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons basil
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon celery seed


Blend all ingredients in a food processor. This will break down the larger herbs so all the salt and sugar doesn’t sink to the bottom. I’m too lazy to clean my blender so I just shake the container and make sure the herbs are mixed well before I take a spoonful out each time.



You can mess up measuring cups measuring out the liquids each time, but I hate washing dishes. You can also spend $10 on one of those salad dressing mixing cruets. Or you can be cheap like me and make one with an old washed out bottle of BBQ sauce and a sharpie marker.



The amounts look uneven because the oil rises above the water and vinegar. The funnel at the top is to make sure I don't spill all over my counters, because I also hate cleaning up.

Mix four tablespoons of the mix with ½ cup vinegar, ¼ cup of water, and 1 cup oil, then shake it up well before pouring each time.




I like my salad in the form of a wrap, so I had one for a morning snack

No comments:

Post a Comment