Friday, February 11, 2011

Low sodium bouillon mix



My daughter had a terrible stomach bug yesterday and I spent most of the day doing laundry and cleaning the carpets. Today she’s running around like nothing happened but I’m only giving her bland foods to be on the safe side. I decided to make her some alphabet soup with my homemade bouillon mix.

I love soup, but I hate that disgustingly sour and overly salty aftertaste that goes along with canned or packaged soups. Here is a visual of what half a day's worth of sodium looks like in many processed foods. Crazy isn't it? For a while I boiled chicken carcasses to make my own broth, but that was incredibly disgusting and time consuming. It also took up half the freezer, and we have enough space issues with just a fridge top freezer as it is.

This bouillon powder is 100% vegan, MSG free, low sodium and only takes up a small container’s worth of space in your cupboards. It tastes just like real chicken broth and it also has the added bonus of being very high in vitamins due to the nutritional yeast. Nutritional yeast is sold in any bulk or health food store and is inexpensive and full of B vitamins.

Low sodium bouillon mix

1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons parsley
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon marjoram
1 teaspoon tarragon
1 teaspoon thyme
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon rosemary
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon sage
¼ teaspoon pepper

Use 1 tablespoon of mix plus one cup of water for every cup of broth needed in a recipe or in the place of a bouillon cube.

Just a warning, your pee will turn fluorescent yellow after eating this. Do not be alarmed, it’s just the extra vitamins your body didn’t absorb. You’re not turning radioactive or anything.

I made Sera’s soup with 2 cups of water, 2 tablespoons of mix, a peeled and diced carrot and 1/2 cup of dry alphabet pasta. She just recently learned to operate a spoon by herself and is thrilled with spoon foods.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, this is probably the most practical & direct blog I've read in awhile. I peed my self earlier as I was reading about your chicken masala. I shall make some recipes shortly and report back in due time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for everything you're doing here. You're awesome. Great for a "prepper" on a severe budget, and now I KNOW what's in my stored foods.
    R

    ReplyDelete