Monday, March 21, 2011

Hummus Dip Mix




We celebrated my father in law’s birthday at our house this weekend so I decided to make hummus to serve to our guests.

Hummus Dip Mix

2 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon citric acid powder
1 ½ teaspoons pepper




Citric acid powder can be purchased in small bottles at bulk food stores. It seems expensive but lasts a long time. This is because it’s 8 times the strength of lemon juice! If you can’t find any you can omit it from the mix and just lemon juice to your hummus, but it does save time to use it instead.

What else you’ll need

1 14 oz can of chick peas, drained
¼ cup oil
¼ cup tahini

I used tahini in this recipe but it's a little known secret that peanut butter works just as well and is a LOT cheaper. I actually find that hummus made with peanut butter tastes even better because I find tahini to be a little too bitter.




Mix 4 teaspoons of mix, the chick peas, oil and tahini and blend until smooth. If the dip is too thick, add cold water a little at a time until you reach the right consistency.



Mine is a bit lumpy because the only thing in this world that my daughter is afraid of is our blender and she cries whenever I use it. As a result I blend things for as little time as possible.

I served it with baby carrots and whole wheat pitas cut in triangles.

No comments:

Post a Comment