Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Taco Seasoning Mix




When I worked in Alaska it didn’t matter if I was on a boat or at a shore plant, every Wednesday was taco day. I’ve been thinking a lot about Alaska lately so I decided to make my own taco day.

Taco Seasoning Mix

¼ cup corn starch
3 tablespoons onion powder
2 tablespoons chili powder
4 teaspoons salt
4 teaspoons paprika
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons oregano
½ teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon cayenne

Add 3 tablespoons of mix to one pound of ground meat. I mixed mine in advance and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours to let the flavors really infuse.




Fry up the meat, then drain the excess fat. Serve on hard or soft taco shells with your favourite toppings. I used whole wheat tortilla shells with chopped tomato, onion and shredded cheese. They were the best tacos I’ve ever eaten.

2 comments:

  1. Just curious, what's the reasoning for using Corn Starch in this? I made Taco Seasoning a few years ago and have since run out but haven't located my recipe yet and just ran across your site here... Pretty sure my other recipe didn't use corn starch or sugar. Just want to know what I'm missing! Thanks! :) Great site, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Corn starch acts as a thickener so the taco filling isn't runny. I hate when they dribble out all over my hands!

    ReplyDelete