Friday, September 16, 2011

Caribbean Fish Rub Mix




We got a new camera! When I see how much better the pictures and videos are I'm kicking myself for not doing it two years ago when our daughter was born. But we joke that if we have a second child we can always say 'yes, there are way less pictures of you, but they are much better quality! Anyway, now I can take closer shots of the mixes and food without them being blurry or overexposed.

I am trying to cook more fish, partly because it's so healthy and partly because I want our daughter to grow up with more variety in her diet than we did. It's hard for me though considering I worked as a biologist in the fishing industry for several years and saw some NASTY stuff. I knew that the only solution would be A) a fish I never worked with and B) a really tasty seasoning mix!

Caribbean Fish Rub Mix (Single Use)

2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon onion powder
3/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch cloves
pinch ginger
pinch nutmeg




Big Batch (makes 6 uses)

1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons onion powder
5 teaspoons paprika
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

What else you need

1 pound of fish fillets, any variety

Sprinkle and rub about 2 tablespoons of mix onto both sides of fish and lay in a glass baking dish. I used tilapia fillets because they were on sale and looked good.




Broil fish for 10-15 minutes until fish is fully cooked and flakes when pressed with a fork.





I served mine with steamed vegetables and cheddar and broccoli mashed potatoes.


My husband said it was the best fish he had ever eaten. Our daughter silently gobbled all of hers, then demanded the rest off of both our plates. I guess she's not picky about seafood like I was....

No comments:

Post a Comment