Thursday, December 1, 2011

Herb and Garlic Biscuit Mix




It's December! Comfort food weather! I'm really into homemade soups at this time of year and I like something hearty to dunk in them. Crackers just won't do, I need... BISCUITS!

Now most biscuit mix recipes and boxed biscuits mixes are made with shortening, which is loaded with enough trans fat to kill you twice. My recipe uses only oil, which is not only healthier, it's also cheaper! Yet my biscuits still have that crispy biscuit taste that makes them so delicious.

Herb and Garlic Biscuit Mix (single use- makes 6 biscuits)

1 1/4 cups flour
1/4 cup powdered milk
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon parsley
1/2 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon sage




What else you'll need

1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup water

Combine mix in a bowl and stir, then stir in the oil until the mixture is as smooth as possible. Mine is a bit lumpy because I was pressed for time but it still turned out ok.




Add in water and stir until a dough forms. Spoon the dough into 6 portions on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for about 10 minutes or until tops start to look a bit golden in places.






Serve hot or cold. I find they go well with any messy crock pot food- chili, stew, gumbo, ect. They also make a great topping crust for pot pie casseroles. I like to make a big batch of mix and quickly make biscuits right before dinner whenever I want. It's so easy and so fresh!

I ate two right away and although my poor pregnant tummy is now regretting the garlic, it was totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment