Thursday, January 19, 2012

Guacamole seasoning mix

It's been a rough week for morning sickness and a busy week for me. It involved throwing a surprise party for my husband's birthday, which included teaching myself to make sushi rolls (which after 3 hours of painstaking work were dumped over by my daughter because I turned my back for 3 minutes) and a secret ultrasound appointment. When my husband opened his birthday gift in front of everyone he found a pair of pink booties inside!

Things are back to normal finally and that means mixing it up!

I've been on a HUGE avocado kick this week. I love to spread them on toast with salt and pepper or put them in my wraps. But the problem with avocados is the window of ripeness is ridiculously short. It seems like they are rock hard for days, good to eat for about half an hour and then all brown and rotting right after that! It's hard to time them, especially when you don't feel like going shopping every day, or if you want to buy one of those bags of them to save money. Which is why a lot of people use them to make... guacamole! It keeps nicely for a few days in the fridge, which greatly extends your window of avocado ripeness.

Guacamole seasoning mix

2 teaspoons dried cilantro
1 teaspoon dried onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried garlic flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon pepper


What else you'll need

2 ripe avocados
1 diced tomato (I didn't use it simply because I didn't have one and there was no way I was running out in this weather to get one! But it tastes amazing with tomato in it!)
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice

Mash the avocado with a fork and stir in lemon juice and seasoning and mix well. Add tomato and stir.



Enjoy as a dip with veggies or pitas or as a spread on sandwiches and wraps. I also love to put mine on toast!

No comments:

Post a Comment