Thursday, January 12, 2012

Instant hummus mix

Sorry for only one post this week but I've had another horrible blast of the morning sickness that just won't die. It's making my food aversions out of control, which makes it hard to cook and eat!

One thing I've been craving the past 2 weeks though is anything inside a pita. Shawarma , falafel and souvlaki have been big hits lately, but it's been getting expensive to eat out so much. To save money but not get put off by the preparation I've just been buying my own stuff and making pitas with lettuce, tomato, avocado, pickles, hummus and Italian dressing.

Homemade hummus is cheap and good, but it's a lot of work. I really dislike cleaning my blender. The store bought kind is often too garlicky these days for my poor nauseous tummy to handle. I wanted a way to customize my own hummus without all of the work and when I saw little boxes of hummus mix I knew I had to mix it up!

Instant hummus mix

1 cup chick pea flour
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper


Chick pea flour is available at any Indian grocery store as well as bulk food and health food stores. It's also used in my falafel mix which is one of my favorites!

What else you'll need

1 cup boiling water
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup seed or nut butter (tahini, almond, peanut)
1 tablespoon lemon juice

Combine mix with boiling water, stir and cover for 5 minutes. Add in remaining ingredients and stir. Eat as is or cool in the fridge first.


The boiling water is to 'cook' the chick pea flour to make it more palatable. Otherwise your hummus will have a chalky sort of flour taste and give you incredible gas.

This hummus isn't quite as good as the totally homemade kind but it's a lot faster and there are no blenders to wash after! I even had a little tub left to send in my husband's lunch tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment