Monday, January 2, 2012

Fried Chicken Coating Mix



I've still got morning sickness, and my smell aversions to chemical smells are still going strong (I gag every time the neighbors fire up their dryer... even when our windows are shut!), but I can tell I am turning the corner because the smell of cooking food is appealing to me again.

We live down the street from KFC and while we're too afraid to actually eat it, the smell wafts its way to us now and then. Both pregnancies I remember noticing at some point that I was suddenly drooling from the sweet greasy smell of fried chicken instead of holding my nose and gasping.

This time I decided to satisfy the craving but still keep it healthy and home made. So...

Fried Chicken Coating Mix

1 1/2 teaspoons nutritional yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried parsley
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon onion salt
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon rosemary
1/8 teaspoon thyme
pinch marjoram
pinch pepper




What else you'll need

1 cup flour
Up to 16 chicken pieces
1 eat beaten for coating

Combine mix with flour and stir or shake well. I divided mine in half to make it twice because I never cook more than 4 full size (or 8 fillet sized) chicken pieces at once.


Coat chicken pieces in egg and then dip in the flour mixture until it's evenly coated. I can't eat eggs so I have to omit the egg and as a result not as much batter ever sticks to my food. I used boneless, skinless chicken fillets, but you can use anything you want.


Fry the chicken pieces in oil on medium heat in a frying pan.


I served mine like chicken fingers with plum sauce! They weren't as greasy as KFC as they were lacking the skin and they had less batter, but they sure were tasty!

2 comments:

  1. Since you can't eat egg I was thinking buttermilk might be good for this recipe... if you have it around. I've heard you can make a decent substitute w/ a little regular milk & some lemon juice although I have never tried it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thanks for the tip! I was thinking there might be something I can use because I've read ingredients on certain breaded foods that didn't contain eggs. I'll try that next time!

    ReplyDelete