Monday, September 24, 2012

Waffle Mix

Last year on my birthday I wished for another baby. I got pregnant a week later. This year I wished for a rotating Belgian waffle maker. Once again my birthday wishes came true.

The past week has been a glorious celebration of waffles. I made a big container of waffle mix and whipped up all kinds of waffles whenever my heart desired, breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert. Waffles know no clocks.

Waffle Mix (big batch- makes 4-5 batches)

6 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup baking powder
2 teaspoons salt

What else you'll need

1 cup milk
1/4 cup oil

Combine 1 1/2 cups of mix with milk and oil and stir well. I had a little helper who was very excited about the prospect of waffles.


Pour the batter into the preheated waffle maker.


Cook until golden brown


Because of our egg intolerance, these waffles are egg free. It's a little known fact that many baked goods (especially waffles and pancakes) don't actually need eggs in them at all. I also omitted the powdered milk from this mix (unlike my pancake mix) to give people the freedom to use dairy free milks. We're currently using almond milk in our house, and it makes some lovely waffles.

Some of the variations I experimented with that had fabulous results...

As a healthy topping I blended defrosted frozen blueberries to make a sauce. It also works well with strawberries or raspberries.


As a dessert treat one night I wanted to make chocolate chip waffles- but we were out of chocolate chips. So I smashed up a bar of dark chocolate in a bag using a hammer and the results were amazing.


Another time I put the blueberries IN the waffles and then topped them with syrup. Delicious!


This mix means making waffles is so easy that we even have time for them in the morning before my daughter goes to preschool, despite how rushed we are. They are much cheaper and much tastier than boxed cereal!

No comments:

Post a Comment