Sunday, March 13, 2011

French Onion Soup Mix

This wasn't the greatest mix, so an improved version can be found here.




I didn’t have anything defrosted in time to make dinner the other night, so I decided to try this mix for French onion soup.

French Onion Soup Mix

2 cups dried onion flakes
1 cup bouillon powder
2 tablespoons onion powder
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed




Use 1/3 cup of mix with 2 cups of boiling water

It wasn’t as brown as I picture onion soup to be, but I realized this is because I used homemade vegetarian bouillon mix instead of regular beef bouillon like most recipes call for. I also found it very oniony, but was assured it tasted right. I am not much of an onion person, I tend to pick them off my burgers and only really like them if they are caramelized to the point where they are practically candy.

Serve with shredded cheese melted in and hunks of bread for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment