Thursday, September 29, 2011

Nut Free Trail Mix

I went back to work recently as a supply teacher and the biggest problem seems to be what to pack for snacks. I'm used to packing things like Larabars or dry roasted almonds to snack on when I'm out, but these days almost every classroom has at least one child with a deathly allergy and all schools are now peanut and tree nut free. Gone are the carefree lunches of peanut butter sandwhiches and nutty granola bars. Now kids eat Cheez whiz on their bread instead.

But......

It's a little known fact that SEEDS are neither nut nor legume and therefore very few people are allergic to them. Knowing this you can make delicious trail mix using pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. This is great because seeds are also a lot cheaper! Especially with all those Halloween pumpkins people are about to carve next month!

Nut Free Trail Mix

1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chocolate chips

Dump each ingredient into a bowl and then stir.




The other ingredients were picked based on what was on sale at Bulk Barn this week, but the combination tasted exceptionally good. You could easily substitute any other dried fruit of your choice, or use M&M's, butterscotch chips, or whatever sweetie treat in place of the chocolate chips, but I suggest you try this exact mix as it's GOOD.

This tasted even better than regular trail mix, yet it has the added bonus that it won't kill any of my students. And even though my husband can eat whatever deadly foods he wants in HIS lunch, I can send it with him anyway because it's an inexpensive and healthy way to fill him up.

I have to teach all day tomorrow but that's ok. I've already got my recess treat packed!

No comments:

Post a Comment