Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Eggplant/Chicken Parmesan Mix


I'm due in one month from today! While I totally expect to go overdue like the last time I've been mixing it up like crazy these past weeks to make sure I have a surplus of recipes to post once the baby is born. I remember what it's like- when even EATING food is sometimes impossible never mind concocting and photographing a new recipe! We hope this baby won't have colic like our first did but we're not banking on anything!

Last week after the delicious vegetarian buffet at my sister's wedding I was craving eggplant, so I decided to create a mix for...

Eggplant (or) Chicken Parmesan Mix

1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper


What else you'll need

2 large eggplants OR
4 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 jar of pasta sauce or tomatoes
8 slices of mozzarella cheese
oil for frying

Prepare the eggplant or chicken:

For eggplant- cut into large slices



For chicken- butterfly each breast into two thinner pieces and pound as thin as possible with a meat cleaver.

Dip eggplant or chicken in mix and fry in oil until golden brown. Spread a layer of pasta sauce on the bottom of a glass baking pan, place breaded eggplant/chicken on top, top each piece with mozzarella. Continue layering sauce, pieces and cheese until all is used up.




Bake in the oven at 350 F until eggplant/chicken topping is slightly crispy (about 1 hour)


Let cool for 15 minutes before slicing and serving.


I thought it was delicious! It totally took care of my eggplant craving! My husband said it was delicious except for one thing- it didn't have any meat! But that's ok, because next time I'm making it using chicken. It's a great mix to keep around when you're omnivores like we are because it can serve double duty. You get two different meals in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment