Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Instant Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal Mix

There is very little in this life that is a bigger rip off than those little instant oatmeal packets. Do you have any idea how cheap oatmeal is? Do you have any idea how easy it is to make?

My daughter is a HUGE oatmeal fan. She wants it almost every morning for breakfast. I didn't like the idea of her eating all the sugar in those instant packets so back when she was a baby so I started buying quick oats and making my own for her without sugar. I was amazed at how much cheaper it was- I can buy a 1 kilogram bag of oats for $1.67 and it lasts for months.

Now that she's older I'm introducing more flavor (although I still omit the sugar in hers- just not mine. Her taste buds still haven't been spoiled). This is one of the cheapest versions I make...

Cinnamon Raisin Instant Oatmeal Mix (single use)

1/4 cup quick oats
1 tablespoon raisins
2-3 teaspoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch salt


Big Batch (makes 8 uses)

2 cups quick oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/3-1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

What else you'll need

1/2-3/4 cup water

(1/2 cup makes it like glue and you can make it into blobs that toddlers can eat with their hands, 3/4 cup makes it more soupy and like regular oatmeal)


Combine 1/3 cup mix with water. You can either use boiling water and let it sit, or like me you can just put the water in the bowl cold and microwave it for 1 minute. It's much faster than boiling a kettle AND waiting. My daughter is not very patient when she's hungry!

Runny:


Thick:


Sugar can be adjusted to any taste. I make hers sugar free, I put the maximum amount for myself and for those trying to cut back I suggest something in between. It's a very inexpensive breakfast for adults and kids, it's fast and it's great for milk production for all you nursing mamas out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment