Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Improved Dill Pickle Popcorn Seasoning




I’ve been checking out the stats on my blog traffic lately and what I’ve found is that aside from my regular readers, I’m getting a lot of hits through search engines. It seems the three biggest mixes are bouillon, burrito seasoning and dill pickle popcorn seasoning.

I stand by my bouillon and burrito seasoning mixes 100%, but I’ve always been a bit disappointed in my dill pickle seasoning. It’s good enough to eat, but it doesn’t have that mouth puckering sourness that everyone looks for in a dill pickle seasoning. I think it would be more aptly named ‘herb and dill popcorn seasoning’.

Anyway, heaven forbid should I disappoint strangers on the internet. That just won't do. So I went to work in my Mix it Up lab to create the perfect dill pickle popcorn seasoning. After four attempts with various ingredients I think I nailed it.

Dill Pickle Popcorn Seasoning

2 tablespoons dill weed
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
1 ½ teaspoons ascorbic acid powder

Ascorbic acid powder can be purchased at most bulk food or health food stores in small bottles. It’s very concentrated so it lasts a long time, and it gives it that sour pickle taste that the other one was lacking.

Because we didn’t feel like having popcorn, my husband and I did our taste testing on homemade potato chips. It makes an amazing chip seasoning too for those who want to try it. I love dill pickle chips even more than the popcorn!



In the end I was able to create a seasoning that while not identical to the commercial ones (with all their filler, chemicals and MSG), it still has that sour dill pickle taste that everyone seems to crave. With this recipe I feel I can finally sleep at night knowing I’m not letting down any strangers on google anymore.

8 comments:

  1. I am so excited to try this! I found your blog by searching "homemade dill pickle popcorn seasoning" - Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you enjoy it! It's as close as I can get to the store bought kind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a stranger from Google, looking to make this delicious treat for a pregnant friend, commenting on a post which is over a year old, I will be sure to let you know whether or not you've disappointed me. The writing part hasn't, for what that's worth. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was recommended to me by a friend and I have made it three times. Each time the seasoning has gotten too "wet" during the mixing process. It turns to complete goo and I can't figure out how it would sprinkle on popcorn. I am not sure where the moisture is coming from. Does citric acid absorb moisture from the air? Is there anything I can do to make it work? Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Curious if you have any hints for how to get it to "stick" to air popped popcorn? The flavor is good but it pretty much just settles to the bottom of the bowl. I'm afraid something like Pam spray would change the flavor too much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. spray the popcorn with Pam then shake it so it gets on all the pieces then add the seasoning. I've been making air popped popcorn this way for years. I make up a batch and put part of it in a bag then spray it with Pam then add another layer and spray it. Continue to layer/spray then shake and add seasonings.

      Delete
    2. I put the popcorn in a bowl with a lid, pour on butter or oil and shake it so it's evenly coated before sprinkling on seasoning.

      Delete