Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Beer Batter Mix


When you become a parent, staying up past 9 pm becomes nearly impossible. We don’t go out much these days, and being allergic to alcohol I’m not too upset about it. But I do miss the pub food….

There is something deeply satisfying about a big plate of deep fried fatty snacks. They aren’t something you should eat (or even want to eat) on a regular basis, but when you do they taste oh so good. This weekend we had people over (the grown up compromise to going out), so I tried to bring the pub to us with a plate of my beer battered zucchini sticks.

Beer Batter Mix (single use)

1 ¼ cups flour
2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
½ teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon pepper



What else you’ll need

1 can or bottle of beer, root beer or cola
Sliced zucchini sticks or onions sliced in rings

Mix dry ingredients and then stir in beer or soda until a thick paste is formed. I used some weird looking non-alcoholic beer I found at the grocery store.



Coat veggies in batter.




Then fry in a pan or deep fryer on medium high.




I made a huge pile of them and they all got eaten. I was full for days.

No comments:

Post a Comment