Monday, April 18, 2011

Salsa Mix




The problem with fresh cilantro is that they sell it in such huge bunches, but you only really need a small amount of it. After making pho for company last weekend and using just a few sprigs for garnish, I was left with a buttload of cilantro threatening to go bad in my fridge.

Then I thought of it! I would dry the rest out and make a salsa mix!

I lay it out on some cookie sheets and left them for a few days until the cilantro was dry and crumbly, then I crushed it into a salad bowl and used it to make my mix.




Mild Salsa Mix

To make medium and hot salsa use the amount of dried chili flakes mentioned in parentheses.

Single Use

2 tablespoons dried cilantro
2 teaspoons dried onion flakes
¼ teaspoon red chili flakes (1/2 teaspoon for medium, 1 teaspoon for hot)
¼ teaspoon dried garlic flakes
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper

Big Batch (makes 6 uses)

¾ cup dried cilantro
¼ cup dried onion flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons red chili flakes (1 tablespoon for medium, 2 tablespoons for hot)
1 ½ teaspoons salt
1 ½ teaspoons pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons dried garlic flakes




Combine 3 tablespoons of mix with every 2 cups of canned or fresh diced tomatoes.

I used fresh chopped tomatoes because they were on sale this week. Once I mixed in the seasonings I let it sit in a covered bowl in the fridge for a couple hours before company came over to let the flavors really infuse.




I served it with tortilla chips but it would also be great with fajitas, burritos or tacos.

Now I’m usually notoriously critical of my own cooking, especially the first time creations that haven’t been ‘perfected’ but OH MY GOD this was the best salsa I have ever eaten in my life. I literally ignored our company and sat there for 2 hours in a trance eating this salsa. I had to make another batch so I could keep eating more. If you don’t believe me, try it for yourself…

No comments:

Post a Comment