Friday, March 8, 2013

Cajun Pulled Chicken Seasoning Mix



I love super fast crock pot meals on days when I know I'm going to be too busy to make anything later on. This one is a new favorite of ours.

Cajun pulled chicken mix (single use)

2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon onion flakes
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon pepper



Big batch (makes 4 uses)

1/2 cup sugar
4 teaspoons paprika
4 teaspoons onion flakes
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon pepper

What else you'll need

1 can tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vinegar
1 tablespoon oil
1 pound chicken breasts or thighs

Combine 3 1/2 tablespoons of mix with all other ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 8-10 hours until chicken shreds and everything becomes nice and saucy.



This is a great meal for us because my husband eats gluten free these days so I put mine on a bun and his on a baked potato (our oldest daughter usually wants a bit of both). I usually serve it with a salad on the side.



You can make it as pulled pork too, but we love chicken so we always use that. The leftovers are even better the next day!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm made this last night and it was delicious. The only thing I changed was that I used 1/2 can of tomato paste and upped the garlic and onion powder to 1 tsp because I am an onion and garlic powder addict. It was different from most of the chicken dishes I make so it was a nice change. I will definitely be making this again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it! It's one of our favorites too. When my husband had to go gluten free we started putting it on top of baked potatoes!

      Delete